Five reasons to get your flu shot
click here for pdf
AS HEALTHCARE WORKERS, WE NEED TO PROTECT OUR PATIENTS, OUR FAMILIES AND OURSELVES
- Getting a flu shot is the single best way to protect yourself against the virus. Get vaccinated now to help stay healthy through the winter.
- As a healthcare worker, you have a higher chance of getting the flu since you work with many people who are already sick. You’re also at greater risk if you’re pregnant, age 50 and older or have a chronic medical condition such as asthma, diabetes or heart disease.
- A flu shot cannot make you sick. This is the biggest myth surrounding the flu shot. The flu viruses in the vaccine are inactivated (killed), so they can’t cause infection, and the vaccine is tested for safety.
- Getting your flu shot is convenient – and covered! Shots are available through most healthcare employers and worksites and at local Rite Aid pharmacies. If your employer isn’t offering the shot, your Benefit Fund covers the vaccination, so just make an appointment with your healthcare provider.
- The flu shot gives you peace of mind. Because flu symptoms can be confused with something more serious, like Ebola, going to the hospital – where healthcare workers are required to isolate potential Ebola patients and follow rigorous safety procedures – will just create anxiety for you and your loved ones and stretch our industry’s resources.